Yes, it’s back.
*blows cobwebs off blog, has asthma attack*
Back in 2013 I had an idea. You can see the Index for that idea here. Very pop-orientated. Very mainstream. I have pop sensibility and like a chorus strong enough to use as ballast, but really, I’m surprised by my choices coming across as more Radio 2 than 6Music. I would not choose the same list, nor put it in the same order now.
One year later is my 2014 Index . It is certainly less mainstream, maybe not organised quite how I would if doing it again (opening with Katy B, now there’s a misunderstanding about drawing in readers).
This year has seen my Spotify, SoundCloud, and ‘tucked in the back of the brain’ longlists growing by the week. Soon I will confirm the results of all that here – and as ever, the chosen 24 songs are presented in no particular order. In so many ways, this ain’t a chart.
- Grimes, “REALiTI”
- Richard Lomax, “Hôtel X”
- Sia, “Alive”
4. Gwenno, “Patriarchaeth”
5. Holly Herndon, “Interference”
6. Florence and The Machine, “Ship to Wreck”
7. Teleman, “Strange Combinations”
8. George Fitzgerald ft Boxed In, “Full Circle”
15. Polypores, “The Sleep Department Advise You NOT to Leave the House”
16. Everything Everything, “Spring/Sun/Winter/Dread”
17. Girl Friend, “Poison”
18. Slug, “Cockeyed Rabbit Wrapped in Plastic”
19. New Order, “Plastic”
20. The Slow Readers Club, “I Saw a Ghost”